Monday 22 February 2010

Egg Collection Day




We were booked in for egg collection at 0900, but there was more traffic then we anticipated, so we didn't arrive until 0920. Oops!!

Went into the reception area and a nurse arrived with our notes (clearly waiting for us!). Gave us some blue shoe covers - oh so sexy!!
Went through the theatre area and Dan was given his container to do his business Smiley and I followed the nurse to the recovery room.

Over the next 20 or so minutes, I had seen what seemed like 101 people, consultant, nurses, embryologists, anaesthetist... All very nice, and explained what they were doing.

Got unchanged and got into my hospital gown, put my hair cap on and theatre clogs on. Nurse weighed me... all this healthy eating has done some good and I've lost a few pounds! Quickly called my nan to let her know I was about to go under and to start praying everything will be okay, please lets have some lovely eggs of good quality!!
Smiley When does this rollercoaster end?

Was told I would have sedation, I presumed I would have general anaesthetic.. so that came as a little surprise! Hope he knows what he's doing, was having all sorts of thoughts of waking up during the procedure.

Dan was told to get a coffee
Smiley and wait back in the reception area, and off I plodded to the theatre bed.

Ugh, i hate that injection in the hand
Smiley always hurts so much! As soon as Mr. Anaesthetist injected the solution into my arm I dropped off to sleep... immediately, it was even half way and I was knocked out.

Came around less than half an hour later, but could barely talk. I was alert but no words would come out. Asked Dan to call my nan and let her know I was okay.. I know she would praying loads and worrying.

Dan brought me some strawberry ribena's (my fave drink, easily pleased kind of girl!) so I started downing some of those. All my kept asking him, was how many eggs, how many eggs... Every time I heard the door go, i thought it was for us, but they went to speak to the couple next to us... Finally the nurse came back and I got Dan to ask her. She returned to tell us we had 21 eggs - Thank God!! I really pray they are off good quality.

The embryologist came to see us. Dan's sperm sample was great (mobility and count) but we opted for 11 ICSI and 10 IVF. I don't think I would sleep at night, just having them fertilise by themselves, don't think I can trust them!! ICSI was in our NHS package and just think it kind of gives a little bit of security.

Was very drowsy but felt fine otherwise, so we went home to recover.

Pray that we have lots of 2 cell embryo's in the morning.

Dreaded call will be between 0800 - 1000. Until then, let hope and pray that we have lots of healthy embryo's.

1 comment:

  1. That's so great!! Fingers crossed that the eggs start dividing properly!!

    ReplyDelete